Afaq Hussain has wide experience in the areas of International Trade and Development Policy. He has conducted and supervised a number of studies for government bodies and various institutions including The World Bank, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER), Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI), Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI), Dun & Bradstreet amongst others.
He has conducted extensive research on aspects of regional integration particularly trade and cooperation in South Asia. Some of the recent work has been on trade, non-tariff barriers, trade facilitation and informal trade in South Asia with a special focus on India-Pakistan. Apart from trade, he has also worked on several other projects on Micro Small & Medium Enterprises (MSME) sector, Financial services, Foreign Direct Investment, etc. Some of his key assignments include:
- MSME Report – 2014, SIDBI, 2014
- Monetizing Gold – A Study in India, FICCI, 2014
- Study on General Insurance- Penetration in rural India, FICCI, 2014
- Regional Cooperation in South Asia – Multi-Stakeholder Perception Study, The World Bank, 2013
- Non-Tariff Barrier Study on India Pakistan Trade; ICRIER, 2013
- Trade Perception Study for India Pakistan Trade; ICRIER, 2013
- Study on Informal trade between India and Pakistan; ICRIER, 2013
- Study of India’s Investment Environment, major FDI inflows, and Suggestion for Taiwan’s businessmen” : Taipei Economic and Cultural Centre (TECC) & ICRIER
- Preparation of database on Non-Tariff Measures in India; The World Bank. 2012
- Need Assessment of Indian MSME clusters, GIZ-SIDBI, 2012
- Business perception study on Indian Industry, FICCI, 2012
- Operational efficiencies in Indian Life Insurance Market. A survey of over 550 branches of life insurance companies. 2011.
- Study on Non-Tariff Barriers and Technical Barriers to Trade for India with Pakistan, ICRIER, 2007
- Study on Non-Tariff Barriers and Technical Barriers to Trade for India with ASEAN countries and Sri Lanka, ICRIER, 2006
- Analysis of the Implications of the WTO Agreements on Sanitary and Phyto Sanitary and Technical Barriers to Trade on Access to Health to India, Rajiv Gandhi Foundation.