Nikita’s engagements span Regional Cooperation, International Trade and Logistics, Economic Integration and Overseas Development Assistance, and Women Empowerment with a focus on South Asia.
Prior to joining BRIEF, she worked with the World Bank Group’s South Asia Regional Integration unit, based in Washington DC. She has also been a Visiting Research Fellow at the Centre for Strategic Studies under the President of Azerbaijan based in Baku, and has worked with the French Agency for Development (AFD) in Sri Lanka. Previously, she was a Strategy Consultant with Booz & Company, in India.
In just a few years, Nikita has moved across countries (including Azerbaijan, France, Sri Lanka and the US) before coming back to India. Her specialization and passion lie in international trade and regional cooperation in South Asia with a focus on bilateral relationship between India and Pakistan. She has recently authored a book titled ‘Unilateral Decisions Bilateral Losses’ focusing on the face-off between India and Pakistan in 2019.
She has written for various Indian and international newspapers and journals on different economic and socio-political issues including Regional Cooperation in South Asia, Multilateral Governance, South Asia trade, Public Private Partnership, Sufism and Politics, Economics of Women Talent, Gender Violence, and other infrastructure, trade, investment, and gender issues.
Some of her projects & publications include:
- Book: Unilateral Decisions Bilateral Losses, assessing the socio-economic impact of the face-off between India and Pakistan in 2019, on border economies, BRIEF, 2020
- Shaping the Narrative on Regional Cooperation in South Asia, The World Bank, DC, 2018
- India-Bangladesh Border Haats: Impact Assessment Case Studies, The World Bank, DC, 2018
- Subnational Diplomacy: Restructuring Constituent Foreign Policy of India (Economic and Political Weekly Vol. 52, Issue No. 22, 03 June, 2017), Sciences Po, Paris, 2017
- French Overseas Development Assistance in Sri Lankan Fisheries, AFD – Agence Française de Développement, Sri Lanka, 2016
- Potential of Public Private Partnership (PPP) in the development of Azerbaijan’s infrastructure (Book ISSN: 2218-8436), Centre for Strategic Studies under the President of Azerbaijan, 2016
- Regional Trade Barriers in South Asia: SAARC lagging behind ASEAN (Samvad SIBM Pune Research Journal, Vol XII, 54-61, December 2016), Sciences Po, Paris, 2016
- Potential of new trade routes between India and Pakistan for ICRIER, BRIEF, 2014
- Multi-Stakeholder Perception Survey on Regional Cooperation in South Asia for the World Bank, BRIEF, 2014
- National Electric Mobility Mission of the Ministry of Heavy Industries, Government of India, Booz & Company, 2013
- Preparation of database on Non-Tariff Measures in India for the World Bank, BRIEF, 2012
She is an Engineer from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT Delhi) and Masters in International Economic Policy (major in South Asia) from Sciences Po Paris School of International Affairs. She blogs@ nikitasingla.wordpress.com